Saturday 14 July 2007

Is This Progress?!

I just don't believe it!

I'm about to leave for a few days on Hamilton Island. Being the nerd that I am, my MacBook is coming along, because I want to do some coding in the off hours.

I decided that it would be nice to have a real mouse, rather than being forced to use the trackpad all the time, so I bought one yesterday.

It came with a driver CD. This morning, I remembered that I hadn't run the installation, so I stuck the CD in the drive.

Poor Noether can neither read the CD, nor eject it!

There's no time to take her to an Apple shop, so I'm stuck, for the entire trip, with a CD permanently in the drive that the MacBook tries to read every couple of minutes, which chews the battery ... plus it makes that horrible wheezing motor noise.

In days gone by, CD drives had a hole you could stick a paper clip into to physically force the CD out. Not so with these damned slot loading drives!

To add insult to injury, it turns out that the only value of the special drivers is to let you use the extra buttons on the mouse. The features I want ... basic functionality and the scroll wheel ... work just fine without them!

Hopefully, a dozen of those alcoholic drinks served in a pineapple, like this one here, complete with a couple of paper umbrellas, and I'll forget all about it!

Hey! Is that a laptop bag she has next to her? ... I think I'm in love :-).