Tuesday 3 April 2007

Happy Birthday!

According to this article, the HP35 electronic calculator is 35 years old this year.

It was Hewlett-Packard's first hand-held calculator. In fact, it was the first hand-held calculator in the world!

As with all good HP calculators, data entry was via Reverse Polish Notation, the choice of every serious arithmetician the world over.

When I was a young lad, I lusted after the HP67 and then the HP 41CV.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the price tag, so I ended up with a TI-59 from Texas Instruments, which was still pretty amazing for its time.

The only HP calculator I ever owned was an HP28S, which was truly amazing, but a bit bulky.

These days, my calculator is an HP emulator called MathU Pro installed on my Treo 680.

Happy birthday, HP35, my little friend!