Sunday 3 December 2006

Trivial Pursuits


I went to a charity trivia quiz last night in Arncliffe, run by a chap who quiz master extraordinaire Pommy Andy (pictured right) used to call "The Oldest Man In The World".

The quiz was entitled "John's Trivia For Kids Cancer" and promised a 60s, 70s and 80s theme, buffet dinner and a band for $35.

I'm not quite sure how 90% of the questions related to the theme, but they were good, nonetheless. Maybe the idea was for there to be lots of 60s, 70s and 80s music questions, with the band providing the tunes. Unfortunately, they had their van stolen, with their instruments inside, so perhaps John had to go with plan B.

At a quick guess, I'd say there were maybe 50 people there, which makes $1750 in entry fees. Mention was made of a number of sponsors, so hopefully they coughed up for the $600 in prizes, the food and the room.

My teammates are avid karaoke nuts, so after the quiz, we went down the road to the Arncliffe Hotel for heat eight of their karaoke "tournament". Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I'd restricted myself to drinking only light beer after Friday night's excesses, but trust me when I say I was very pleased to leave when they finally decided to call it a night at one a.m..

One saving grace ... the Arncliffe Hotel has a predominantly Maori clientele, so all of the karaoke videos were from New Zealand. At least I had the occasional nice bit of scenery to look at while my ears were being assaulted.

No comments: