Tuesday 28 November 2006

The Wing of the Hummingbird

The title refers to chapter three of a wonderful new book on mathematics (and much more) by Alexandre V Borovik entitled Mathematics Under The Microscope.

At this stage, I've only skimmed the surface of the first few chapters, but that's sufficient to assure me that reading this book will give me an obscene amount of pleasure. The content is a beautiful mix of mathematics, art, history, psychology, linguistics and philosophy.

Now, to my reason for focusing on chapter three. My close acquaintances know well my affection for command-line interfaces. The aforementioned chapter provides a soupçon of vindication ... "Typing a command is like saying a sentence, while clicking a mouse is equivalent to pointing a finger in conversation". Visit section 3.5 for the details.

Enjoy!

No comments: